The key to successful DIY wedding, bat/bar mitzvah or party decorations is to keep the projects simple. Unless you are a master crafter, there’s no need to be overly complex or ambitious. One projects that fits the bill perfectly is pinwheels! Minimal tools, super simple instructions, inexpensive materials, eye-popping results… it just doesn’t get much better.
All you really need is decorative paper and hot glue. There are three ways to approach it.
- You can accordion-fold a single sheet of paper and tie it in the center with string or thin craft wire, fluff out the folds and glue the paper together on either side of the center. Sharp creases will give you a pleated look while slight creases will produce more of a ruffle.
- You can also try these instructions from Emmaline Bride via The Broke-Ass Bride using two sheets of paper.
- Make things easy and order your pinwheels from Koyal Wholesale. They also have Vintage Script Pinwheel Fans that your guest will appreciate at a hot summertime event.
1. Pinwheel Chuppah
Once you’ve mastered this simple technique, the sky’s the limit! Patterned paper, vellum paper, foil paper, metallic paper, they all make marvelous pinwheels. Group together a mix of different pinwheels to create a backdrop or decorate the huppah for a colorful and whimsical accent.
Encourage your guests to strike a pose against a lovely pinwheel backdrop.
3. Table Runner
Give your tables pops of color with a pinwheel table runner.
4. Cake Decor
Fondant pinwheels look whimsical and bright on the cake.
5. Dessert Table
The dessert buffet is a focal point at the reception. Create a colorful and eye-catching backdrop of pinwheels using these instructions.
6. Aisle Decorations & Table Numbers
You can also use the pinwheels to decorate the aisle for your wedding ceremony. They also make a great frame for your table numbers.
7. Seating Cards
Give your guests a memento with pinwheel seating cards. These are almost as simple to make as accordion pinwheels using these instructions.
Photos: Kella MacPhee via Oh Lovely Day
8. Bouquet / Boutonniere Alternatives
Pinwheels also offer a cost effective alternative to bouquets.
Koyal Wholesale is an affiliate of mazelmoments. Purchases made from our referrals help make this site even better. Thank you for your support!