Are you ready to Fall Down the Rabbit Hole too?
Written by Dana Haugh
Step into Temple Israel of Lawrence and fall head over heels into an Alice in Wonderland themed adventure! Morrell Caterers teamed up with Nikoletta Events to give Jessica a Bat Mitzvah sure to drive all of her friends and family mad with excitement! From the tiny bottled cocktails labeled ‘Drink Me’, to the massive exotic plants shimmering in a supernatural light, to the iron gates laden with vines and flowers that flanked the dining room, you are sure to lose yourself to the imagery and truly believe you’ve been transported to Wonderland.
Alice In Wonderland Seating Card ‘Keys’
Jessica’s guests were greeted at the Temple Israel of Lawrence’s main entrance and handed a small twisted gold key with their name attached, granting each lucky invitee passage into the fantastical world beyond. As they traveled down the twinkling, garden-like hall, guests were offered tiny corked bottles as they stepped into the cocktail room, each vial encouraging its owner to ‘Drink Me’.
As the guests sipped their beverages and enjoyed dish after dish of exquisite appetizers, Morell and Nikoletta’s staff were putting the finishing touches on the dining room turned Wonderland, preparing for the grand reveal.
Soon the White Rabbit and Mad Hatter were ushering visitors back through the overgrown hallway and toward the now open doorway flanked by giant iron gates. Passing through the sweet scented, vine-ridden gates, guests were transported into a world identical to a Tim Burton vision.
Alice in Wonderland Bat Mitzvah Centerpieces & Decor
Oversized mushroom murals accented by fluorescent lighting brought the atmosphere of a magical garden into the room. The dance floor was transformed into a life-sized black and white chessboard; the tables were laden with miniature tea pots, whimsical tall floral bat mitzvah centerpieces and twisted trees decorated with globes and bright ornaments enhanced the room’s other-worldly feel. Tables were all different shapes with gorgeous custom cloths and cushions with gold Chivari chairs.
Alice in Wonderland Teapot Bat Mitzvah Cake – Morrell Caterers
Check out Morrell Caterers on mazelmoments
Gorgeous, pink, feather flamingoes stood gracefully on the table with cupcakes that read “Eat Me.” For the bat mitzvah candle lighting ceremony, two large pink flamingoes that were made with real carnation flowers stood by the stage, holding 15 golden candles. The night kicked into high gear as D & E Entertainment delivered nonstop beats to keep the crowd dancing until their feet hurt and MC Aldo and his dancing crew entranced the guests with their hypnotic moves and incredible energy.
Check out Morrell Caterers on mazelmoments.
Bat Mitzvah Planning Advice from Jessica’s Mom:
- About Jessica: Jessica never wanted to have a big party, but we wanted her to feel special on her Bat Mitzvah day and to show her our appreciation and love that she has brought to us since the moment we laid out eyes on her.
- Bat Mitzvah Theme: The planning began with choosing a theme for the party, which turned out to be the most exciting yet challenging part of all. In my mind in had to be perfect, unique and most of all fit Jessica’s personality. Alice in Wonderland came to mind after we saw Tim Burton’s version of the movie and we were fascinated with the effects and boundless imagination of the creator. We chose this theme without hesitation and the planning began.
- Finding a Venue: Choosing the venue became another dilemma and we had seen quite a few before choosing Morrell Caterers and Temple Israel of Lawrence. The red hall of the synagogue blew me away and it fit perfectly with our theme, likening it to the hall of a Red Queen. We found everything we were looking for in a venue: the elegance, intimacy, beautiful design and exquisite food. Chris Drago was a pleasure to work with and his time and patience was greatly appreciated.
- Let Your Creativity Flow: Even though I decided to work with a party planner, I did put in a great effort of work in planning and organization. The invitations were hand made with burnt edges to give it a vintage look and decorated with Swarovski crystals. The invitation box, both idea and design was purely my creation and it came out truly one of a kind.
- Bat Mitzvah Entertainment: D & E Entertainment, the amazing MC Aldo and his wonderful dancing crew made our evening unforgettable to all. I was very pleased with the outcome of our party and everything went as planned. I never imagined that planning a party was such an enormous and exhausting job, but no one said it would be easy. With two more future events yet to come, I’d be glad to repeat it all over again!
Mazel Tov to Jessica and her family! You really pulled off an amazing celebration.
We want to shout out a special thanks to Jessica and her Mom for sharing their photos and tips with us. Thank you Dana Haugh and Doug Betensky of Upside Business Consultants and Morrell Caterers for all your help.
Theme: Alice in Wonderland (View More Themes)
Colors: Pink, Purple, Tim Burton inspired
Photographer: Sunflowers Studios Photography
Ceremony: Temple Israel of Lawrence
Event Venue: Morrell Caterers at Temple Israel
Party Planner: Nikoletta Events
DJ: D & E Entertainment
Dancers: MC Aldo and Dance Crew